Dry Eyes & Dry Eye Syndrome
More than 20% of the world’s population suffers from dry eyes (sicca syndrome). 40% of these wear glasses or contact lenses. The triggers of dry eyes can often include everyday stress and strains of modern lifestyles. Environmental influences, along with modern working and living conditions, can contribute to dry eye syndrome.
Common causes of dry eyes
- Hormonal changes in women such as during pregnancy
- Wearing contact lenses
- Staring at a computer screen for too long
- Being in a hot or windy climate
- Exposure to cigarette smoke
- Side effects of medication
- An underlying medical condition such as blepharitis
Signs and symptoms
Dry eyes tend to affect both eyes. Some signs to watch out for include:
- Sensitivity to light
- A gritty or scratchy sensation in your eyes
- Eye redness
- Trouble wearing contact lenses
- Difficulty driving at night
- Watery eyes
- Blurry vision
- Burning or stinging sensation
- Tired eyes
The Idra device can provide an individual analysis of the patient’s tear film, delivering a quick but detailed structure of the tear composition. This can help us to identify the type of dry eye disease that is present, and determining which treatment is required.
The complete heating and massage technology to relieve tension symptoms and eyes swelling
- Produce controlled heat contributing to unclogging the debris of the meibomian glands on the edge of the eyelids and softening the secretions.
- Relieves swollen and irritated eyelids due to blepharitis, meibomian gland dysfunctions, styes and chalazion.
- Generates constant heat of approximately 42 degrees for 15 minutes and apply a micro-vibration based massage to increase relief.
- The device is absolutely safe and there is no risk of burns.
Following on from Activa is Tearstim
TearStim offers a new, long-lasting solution to help manage dry eye syndrome, with just a few simple steps. With a quick and easy process, the treatment can last up to 18 months.
TearStim ensures the meibomian glans function properly. This can help to remedy the cause of dry eyes and relieve any eye pain or uncomfortable vision. Previous treatment for dry eyes has only temporarily alleviated the symptoms, whereas TearStim can help the root of the problem. TearStim is a device based on intense regulated pulsed light technology (IRPL). The device emits painless light pulses below the eye, stimulating the nerve to release neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters stimulate the secretion of the meibomian glands, contributing to restoring regular activity. The treatment provided can improve the quality of the gland secretion, along with stabilising the lipid layer of the tear film.
How TearStim works
The treatment only takes a few minutes. The optician simply covers the patients’ eyes with protector shells and applies a special gel.
A series of 8-10 light pulses are then aimed at the region below the eyes, before being repeated in the same way on the other eye.
- The treatment needs only 4 sessions to make a difference
- The effects of the dry eye treatment can last from 6 months up to 18 months. It’s recommended that you have an annual booster.